Deciding to bring your civil partnership to an end is a big step and one that requires careful handling, particularly where children are involved and financial arrangements need to be agreed. Having a specialist family lawyer at your side to guide you through the process ensures that everything is done properly and that your interests and those of your children are protected.
As a first step, checks will have to be made to ensure you qualify to dissolve your civil partnership. This includes proving you have been in a recognised relationship for at least a year and that your partner has either behaved unreasonably or deserted you, or that you have been living apart for more than two years and both want a divorce or have been living apart for at least five years with no intention to reconcile.
Adopting a constructive and non-confrontational approach, the family law experts at Hatten Wyatt Solicitors in Kent can help you to negotiate arrangements with your former partner and to work through any issues on which you disagree.
- check that you are eligible to apply for a dissolution and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation where the eligibility criteria are not met;
- complete the necessary paperwork;
- support you in making suitable arrangements and in resolving disputes about children;
- help you to apply for a parental responsibility in respect of a child you have cared for;
- help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
- advise you on making a will or updating an existing will;
- liaise with pension providers when required to split pension benefits;
- explain the options available to help you reach an amicable agreement, including family mediation or collaborative law; and
- vigorously represent your interest if any aspect of your dissolution ends up before the courts.
We can also help with any issues concerning domestic violence or abuse.
Advising families throughout Gravesend, Kent and beyond
We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Tonbridge, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment / Legal aid
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £95 plus VAT. Legal aid may also be available in certain cases and is normally always available for defending care proceedings and taking steps to protect against domestic violence or child abuse.
Get in touch with our civil partnership dissolution solicitors in Gravesend, Kent
If you need help with a family law matter, please get in touch to see how we can help. You can call us on 01474 351199 or use our contact form and we will call you.