Having decided to end your marriage, you need to find a way to organise your affairs for the future wellbeing of your family. This will include deciding where everyone will live, agreeing financial arrangements and resolving disputes about children. The support of family and friends will be invaluable in this process, but so too will be having a divorce lawyer at your side who is committed to achieving the best possible outcome.
As a first step, checks will have to be made to ensure you qualify for a divorce. This includes proving you have been married for at least a year and that your spouse has either had an affair, behaved unreasonably or deserted you, or that you have been living apart for more than two years and both want a divorce or have been living apart for at least five years with no intention to reconcile.
Adopting a constructive and non-confrontational approach, the family law specialists at Hatten Wyatt Solicitors in Kent are here to guide you through the divorce process and help you to reach agreement on the issues that need to be resolved before you go your separate ways.
- check that you are eligible to apply for a divorce and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation where the eligibility criteria are not met;
- complete the necessary paperwork;
- support you in making suitable arrangements and in resolving disputes about children;
- help you to apply for a parental responsibility order where you have no legal rights in respect of a child you have cared for;
- help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
- advise you on making a will or updating an existing will in which your spouse may be mentioned;
- liaise with pension providers when there are issues around entitlement to split pension benefits;
- explain the options available to help you reach an amicable agreement, including family mediation or collaborative law; and
- vigorously represent your interest if any aspect of your divorce ends up before the courts.
We can also help with any issues concerning domestic violence or abuse.
Advising families throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment / Legal aid
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £95 plus VAT. Legal aid may also be available in certain cases and is normally always available for defending care proceedings and taking steps to protect against domestic violence or child abuse
Get in touch
If you need help with a family law matter, please get in touch to see how we can help. You can call us on 01474 351199 or use our contact form and we will call you.