If you have used the services of a professional, such as a surveyor or an accountant, and they have failed to do what you asked them to do or have not done it to the standard expected then it may be possible for you to claim compensation for any financial losses you have suffered as a result of their negligence.
There are strict time limits for making a claim so you need to take legal advice as soon as possible.
What do I have to prove?
To bring a claim for negligence you will need to show that the person you wish to claim against had a duty to provide a particular service to you, that they failed to provide this service or failed to perform it to a reasonable standard and with reasonable care having regard to the standards normally expected in their profession and that as a direct consequence of this you have suffered loss. Such loss may be financial, or for example, in the case of a claim against a lawyer the lost chance to pursue a claim.
Who you can claim against?
A claim for professional negligence can be brought against anyone who provides a service which is generally accepted as requiring a certain degree of expertise or skill and where the professional has represented themselves as having that expertise or skill, including:
- surveyors, architects, engineers or builders;
- accountants, financial advisors, insurance brokers or professional trustees;
- solicitors, conveyancers or barristers; and
- IT experts or software developers.
How we can help
Our experienced team of professional negligence solicitors can help you to:
- obtain any relevant paperwork to establish what has gone wrong and whether a negligence claim may be possible;
- prepare a formal letter to the professional setting out details of your claim including details of what you consider they have done wrong and inviting them to provide their response before consideration is given to pursuing a claim at court;
- try to negotiate an amicable settlement of your claim; and
- make a claim at court where an out of court settlement cannot be reached.
We will also investigate whether you have any further claims, for example a claim for breach of contract.
The lawyers in our medical negligence team can help if you have been affected by the negligence of a medical professional.
Advising individuals throughout Gravesend, Kent and beyond
If the need arises, we can also offer meetings at your home or via skype if you are regularly out of the country.
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements at a fixed cost of £280 plus VAT. After that we can arrange flexible payment terms, including monthly billing to help you budget.
Get in touch with our professional negligence solicitors in Gravesend, Kent
If you need help to make a professional negligence claim, please get in touch to see how we can assist. You can call us on 01474 351199 or use our contact form and we will call you.