Doing business overseas may require you to get legal documents related to your commercial activities or corporate transactions independently witnessed, authenticated or verified. This is typically the case where you intend to enter a commercial arrangement in a foreign country or with a foreign business partner, or where you wish to purchase foreign land or property or to secure foreign corporate finance.
To get your documents in order you will usually need the services of a notary public. The role of this specially qualified person is to provide confirmation and assurance to the authorities in another country that a document is valid and can be relied upon.
The types of documents that may require notarisation include passports and other travel documentation, proof of identification, financial and mortgage documents, certificates of good standing, certificates of company incorporation, together with articles of association and company memorandum, papers proving property ownership, corporate powers of attorney, statutory declarations and oaths sworn in legal proceedings.
We are fortunate to have two notaries on our staff, Jasvinder Gill and Karen du Rocher. Operating through Hatten Wyatt Notaries LLP, they can provide notarial services to support UK and foreign businesses in a range of situations.
- applications to set up a company abroad;
- applications for a foreign loan or mortgage;
- proof that a UK company has been validly incorporated and is solvent;
- proof that a UK company has the legal capacity to enter a commercial contract;
- the sale or purchase of foreign property;
- the sale or purchase of foreign shares and investments;
- visa applications for UK-based employees and directors wishing to work abroad; and
- the bringing or defending of legal proceedings in another country.
- applications to set up a company in the UK;
- applications for a UK loan or mortgage;
- proof that a foreign company has been validly incorporated and is solvent;
- proof that a foreign company has the legal capacity to enter a commercial contract;
- the sale or purchase of UK-based property;
- the sale or purchase of UK-based shares and investments;
- visa applications for foreign employees and directors wishing to work in the UK; and
- the bringing or defending of legal proceedings in the UK.
Notarial services for individuals are also available, as are legalisation and apostille services where documents need to be certified by the Foreign Office or an embassy or consulate.
Advising businesses throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Tonbridge, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your place of business if the need arises, as well as conference calls via skype for clients who frequently need to travel abroad.
How much does it cost?
The cost of notarial services will depend on the volume and type of documents that need notarising. Prices start from £150.00, but we will happily provide an individual quotation after discussing your requirements.
Get in touch
If you need the services of a notary public, please get in touch to see how we can assist. You can call us on 01474 335515 or use our contact form and we will call you.
Hatten Wyatt Notaries is regulated through the Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury and maintains a minimum level of PI cover of £500,000.