If you have been asked to get legal documents independently witnessed, or to have the authenticity of legal papers verified, then you will need the services of a notary public. The role of this specially qualified person is to provide confirmation and assurance that a document is valid so that it may be relied upon. Notarised documents are typically requested by the authorities in foreign countries to cover things you may wish to do there, like get married, take up the offer of a job or buy a property.
The types of documents that may require notarisation include passports and other travel documentation, birth and marriage certificates, a decree absolute or confirmation of dissolution following divorce or the formal ending of a civil partnership, financial and mortgage documents, papers proving property ownership, wills and probate documentation, powers of attorney, statutory declarations and oaths sworn in legal proceedings.
We are fortunate to have two notaries on our staff, Jasvinder Gill and Karen Du Rocher. Operating through Hatten Wyatt Notaries LLP, they can provide notarial services to support UK and foreign nationals in a range of situations.
- applications to live, work or study abroad;
- requests to marry or enter a civil partnership in another country;
- applications to adopt a child from another country;
- the sale or purchase of foreign property;
- the administration of a deceased person’s estate where foreign property or other assets are involved;
- the sale or purchase of foreign shares and investments; and
- the bringing or defending of legal proceedings in another country.
- applications to live, work or study in the UK;
- requests to marry or enter a civil partnership in the UK;
- applications to adopt a child from the UK;
- the sale or purchase of UK-based property;
- the administration of a deceased person’s estate where UK property or other assets are involved;
- the sale or purchase of UK-based shares and investments; and
- the bringing or defending of legal proceedings in the UK.
We can also help where you have been asked to have documents legalised or apostilled with the Foreign Office, an embassy or a consulate.
Advising individuals throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your home if the need arises, as well as conference calls via skype for clients who frequently need to travel abroad.
The cost of notarial services will depend on the volume and type of documents that need notarising. We will happily provide a quotation after discussing your requirements.
Get in touch
If you need the services of a notary public, please get in touch to see how we can assist. You can call us on 01474 335515 or use our contact form and we will call you.