If you are a member of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual or queer (LGBTQ+) community you may find yourself having to deal with issues that other people never encounter – things like discrimination or harassment in the workplace, verbal threats and physical assault while out in public with friends, a refusal to accept you as a suitable candidate to foster or adopt a child or even a refusal to do business with you or your company.
Dealing with issues that stem from your sexual orientation or decision to transition from one sex to the other can be emotionally draining and extremely traumatic. Tackling these issues is essential to effect change but can be a daunting prospect, particularly if you have little support.
Through our Legally Pink initiative we have assembled a team of specialist lawyers who are committed to ensuring all members of society are treated fairly and with respect and who work tirelessly to champion the rights of the LGBTQ+ community.
Whether you require help with a general matter unconnected to your sexual status, such as buying a house or writing a will, or have a legal problem which arises because of the way you have chosen to live your life, our experienced lawyers are here to support you.
Please visit our main page for a full list of the services we offer.
Particular services of note for our LGBTQ+ clients include the provision of advice on your rights in regard to:
- marrying or entering a civil partnership in the UK or abroad;
- adopting a child;
- being recognised as the parent of a child that your partner has given birth to;
- acquiring parental responsibility over a child you care for;
- a fair financial settlement following the breakdown of your relationship or following your divorce or the dissolution of your civil partnership;
- inheriting money or property from your partner;
- discrimination on the basis of your sexual orientation or reassigned gender, both in your private life and while acting in a professional capacity or while engaged in business; and
- not being harassed, bullied, assaulted or subjected to threats of violence whatever the context.
Advising members of the LGBTQ+ community throughout Gravesend, Kent and beyond
We have offices in Maidstone, Gravesend, Tonbridge, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your place of business or at home if necessary, and for clients who frequently need to travel abroad we can arrange a meeting via a skype conference call.
Depending on the nature of the advice you require, legal aid might be available or it may be possible to fund your case through a conditional fee agreement which means that you will only need to pay us if your claim is successful.
In all other cases we can arrange an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £150 plus VAT. After that we can facilitate flexible payment terms, including monthly billing to help you budget.
Get in touch
If you are a member of the LGBTQ+ community and need legal advice, please get in touch to see how we can help. You can call us on 01474 35 11 99 or use our contact form and we will call you.