When a loved one dies, someone will need to register the death, organise the funeral, notify relevant organisations and ensure outstanding bills are settled, any inheritance tax due is paid and that whatever is left over is distributed in accordance with the terms of your loved one’s will or the rules of intestacy which apply where no will exists.
To be able to deal with financial matters you will need to be able to prove that you have the appropriate authority. To do this you will usually have to apply to the Probate Registry for a grant of probate to confirm your authority to act because you are named as an executor in your loved one’s will or because the rules of intestacy say that you should have the authority to deal with their affairs.
There is a procedure for applying for a grant of probate and failure to follow it could result in your application being rejected. It is also possible that problems could be encountered if there are questions over the validity of the will or who should apply for probate.
At Hatten Wyatt Solicitors in Kent we have a team of probate lawyers who can assist with the probate process. Working alongside you, they can:
- advise you on whether a grant of probate is required;
- complete and lodge the application on your behalf;
- deal with any queries that are raised by the Probate Registry;
- lodge a notice preventing a grant of probate being issued until any disagreements have been resolved;
- ensure any inheritance tax is paid or deferred;
- help administer your loved one’s estate after the grant has been made to ensure all liabilities are settled and everyone receives their inheritance; and
- advise on circumstances where it might be appropriate to vary the will or the rules of intestacy to make provision for other relatives or to save tax.
Advising families throughout Gravesend, Kent and beyond
We can also offer meetings at your home, in hospital or in a care facility, and in exceptional circumstances a telephone appointment can be arranged via skype.
An initial appointment to discuss your requirements can be arranged from £150 plus VAT. After that we can agree funding arrangements to suit your budget.
Get in touch with our probate solicitors in Gravesend, Kent
If you need assistance with the probate process, please get in touch to see how we can help. You can call us on 01474 35 11 99 or use our contact form and we will call you.