Sara is a senior Executive who specialises in helping people put their legal affairs in order during their lifetime and also once they have passed away by ensuring that their wishes are carried out. Sara is a qualified Trust and Estate Practitioner with the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners with over 30 years’ experience within the legal industry, but only joined the firm in April 2018. In 2017, Sara joined the Society of Will Writers as an Estate Planning Consultant, and has recently been invited to join their Professional Standards Board to raise the training of Will-Writers.
Sara is a firm believer of using plain English, and always tries to ensure that clients understand the concepts that she is trying to explain. She is friendly and approachable, and helps clients feel at ease with their decisions that they are making.
Sara is passionate in ensuring that our vulnerable clients are protected and taken care of, and in particular safeguarding vulnerable people is a priority to ensure that no one is taken advantage of. Outside of the firm, Sara has volunteered with St John Ambulance for over 30 years, mainly training young people in first aid but for the last 4 years has been the District Safeguarding Officer for Kent, ensuring that SJA Safeguarding Policy is adhered to, dealing with concerns of volunteers and patients, and training adult volunteers to recognise abuse, and how to deal with concerns.
Sara advises on the following issues:
- Court of Protection applications – to appoint a family member, or partners of the firm, as a deputy to manage a vulnerable person’s affairs where no lasting power of attorney exists, and ensures that as far as possible, the right setting for care provision is provided.
- tax planning – to ensure your personal affairs are organised as tax efficiently as possible so you pay no more tax than you need to when you die;
- trusts – to enable money and property to be passed on in a controlled and tax efficient manner, particularly to children and those not used to significant financial responsibility;
- elderly client work – to ensure those of advancing years receive joined-up advice which considers issues arounds wills, lasting powers of attorney and tax as well as the funding of care costs;
- probate and estate administration – to assist with the legal formalities that need to be complied with when someone has died, and in particular more complex cases; and
- professional trustee work – to enable you to appoint one of our lawyers to act as a trustee, attorney or deputy on your behalf.
- Charitable law – assists potential charitable trustees to set up registered charities, assist with ongoing legal solutions, not only to new trustees but also existing trustees when advice is required.
- wills – to ensure your money and property goes to those you have chosen to receive it;
- lasting powers of attorney – to ensure that if you become unable to make decisions for yourself someone you trust has authority to make them for you;
Examples of recent cases
Sara has recently:
- helped several clients who have no families by making applications to the Court of Protection for the partners of the firm to be appointed as deputies and to manage their financial affairs on an ongoing basis. Part of this includes ensuring that the clients are placed in an appropriate setting where their needs will be met.
- Challenged the Local Authority to prove that their calculation of contributions towards care are accurate, and ensuring that appropriate benefits were reinstated for a client who has been in long term care for over 4 years.
- Assisted a number of families to finalise probate administrations and ensure that the monies were distributed correctly.
Wills, trusts and Probate advice across Kent
Sara is based in Gravesend, but sees clients from our other offices if required.
Sara can be contacted on 01474 351199 or by email email@example.com. Sara normally works Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and is assisted by her secretary, Katie Filkins, who can take messages during Sara’s absence from the office.
The cost of making a will, lasting power of attorney or administering an estate will depend on your circumstances. We are happy to provide a quotation after discussing your requirements.