Joanna La Roche
Joanna is a solicitor advocate with extensive experience in Criminal and Regulatory Law and holding a NEBOSH diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
Specialising in allegations of serious sexual assault and rape, complex fraud and regulatory breaches leading to serious injury and death, she regularly advises individuals, companies and directors in relation to compliance and liability and represents those being investigated or prosecuted by agencies such as the police, HSE, Food Standards Agency, Local Authority, Fire Authorities, Trading Standards and the CQC. This includes attendance for interview under caution and representation at the Magistrates and Crown Courts as well as providing training for employees and directors in respect of their duties under the law.
Joanna also represents professionals, such as foster carers, child-minders, the police and healthcare professionals being investigated or prosecuted in relation to allegations of professional misconduct.
Her experience means that she understands the effect that investigation and prosecution can have on an individual or business and works to ensure that all of her cases are handled with efficiency, discretion and compassion.
Joanna can assist you with the following:
- murder, manslaughter or causing death by dangerous driving;
- assault, including grievous bodily harm and actual bodily harm;
- sexual offences, including rape, child exploitation or the downloading of indecent images;
- domestic violence, including coercive and controlling behaviour;
- harassment and stalking;
- drug possession, drug dealing or drug importation;
- possession of an offensive weapon or bladed article;
- theft, ranging from shoplifting to stealing from your employer;
- fraud and other crimes of dishonesty;
- motoring offences, including speeding, driving without insurance or failing to stop after an accident.
- health and safety investigations and prosecutions;
- advising regarding fee for intervention.
- Environment Agency investigations and prosecutions;
- Food Standard Agency and Local Environmental Health prosecutions;
- trading standards Offences;
- public inquiries called by the Traffic Commissioner;
- professional misconduct; and
- licensing matters where your business licence is being suspended or revoked.
Examples of recent cases:
Joanna has recently:
- R v KG Warwick Crown Court – successful defended a client in relation to rape allegations made by his former foster child. Following submissions at the conclusion of the prosecution case the Judge ruled that the evidence before the court was so tenuous that no jury could safely convict ending proceedings.
- R v C Basingstoke Magistrates Court successfully represented the corporate and individual clients charged with offences under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999. The allegations related to building works that were undertake at the instruction of the company and resulted in a collapse and injuries to two workers. No documentation in relation to Health and Safety risk assessment or method statements could be provided by the client. Detailed mitigation submitted to the court dissuaded the district judge from imposing the custodial sentence indicated at the outset of the sentencing hearing.
- R v NL and others Truro Crown Court successfully mitigated on behalf of corporate and individual clients charged with offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013. The defendants’ failings under these regulations resulted in the death of an elderly customer. Proper instruction of expert witnesses and consideration of the processes and procedures of the businesses afforded opportunities negotiate pleas and mitigate the liabilities of all defendants.
- R v RS and others effectively represented clients charged with multiple offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2009 and the Human Medicines Regulations 2012. This matter was reported in the national news. Thorough negotiation on pleas and mitigation prevented prosecution on the part of one defendant and avoided a custodial sentence for the other.
To contact Joanna, please call 01474 351199 or email email@example.com
We can offer both fixed fees and hourly rates, but this depend on the nature of your instructions. We would be happy to discuss these with you. We would also be happy to provide a no obligation quotation after discussing your requirements.